to the Ends of the Earth
Do you feel God is calling you to travel to a foreign land and minister to an unreached people group? First Baptist Hurst is working toward ministering on every continent, and there are currently active ministry opportunities in West Africa, Russia, Chile, and India. Shots and passports are required, and you need to be prepared to leave some comforts behind, but it is well worth the effort. You will be blessed, and your faith will be strengthened, as you go to the ends of the earth to partner with local missionaries and believers to bring light to the darkness.
First Hurst has taken on the pioneering role of partnering church with the Songhai people group team of the International Mission Board. We have adopted a 45-kilometer stretch of dusty road in Niger. This road has 48 unreached or unengaged villages and had no Christians when we started our mission in 2006. Our goal is to faithfully follow Christ's call to start churches in the five major market towns along this road.
FUTURE WEST AFRICA MISSIONS
We typically schedule 2-4 trips to Niger each year, when assembled teams of volunteers travel to minister to the poorest country in the world. Please pray about joining one of these teams of 4-8 people. Teams are normally set a minimum of 3 months prior to each trip, and a spot is held with a deposit of $200.
As a partnering church, First Hurst wants this to be "more than just another mission trip." Our goal is to be intentional in making a long-term impact for the Kingdom.
Our partnership in Russia is with IMB missionaries Brad and Jeanine. Brad serves as the Strategy Coordinator for the city of Perm, with a population of one million. Jeanine serves as a support to Brad in the ministry and stays busy taking care of and homeschooling their 4 daughters: Sarah, Emily, Alyssa, and Jenna.
Brad & Jeanine concentrate on fulfilling the Great Commission by working with young adults and introducing them to God's Word. They have found that by reading the Bible with people God's Spirit is able to transform the hearts of those who are willing. They also reach out to nonbelievers through various types of evangelizations, outreaches, and Bible studies. We are helping to make a difference by sending short-term volunteers to work alongside them to help reach the lost.
Currently, Perm has only 4 Baptist churches, and 99% of the population does not have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. If you feel the Lord leading you to serve in Perm, there is more than one way you can get ivolved:
We have plans to extend our ministry in Russia to include the city of Vladimir.
GET MORE INFO
In 2011, First Hurst entered into a new multi-year partnership in Chile, working with the European South Latin people in Chile's #1 port city, Valparaíso. Known as the "City on 42 Hills," Valparaíso spans an area of 155 square miles in central Chile.
We are partnering with the IMB and a local church, "Jesús, Esperanza Viva Church," to reach the people on Cerro Placeres (Pleasures Hill) in Valparaíso. There are approximately 275,000 people living on the 42 "hills" in Valparaíso, and 50,000 of them live on the hill we have adopted. It is estimated that less than 10% of the people on Cerro Placeres have heard the gospel in a meaningful way.
Jesús, Esperanza Viva Church is a church in a neighboring city that is committed to reaching this area. Our goal in this partnership is to encourage and multiply the efforts of this church and share the truth and love of Christ with the thousands who live on Cerro Placeres.
During this phase of our partnership, we are focusing on encouraging and strengthening new believers, continuing to build relationships in the community, and growing a relationship with a secondary school which has close to 400 students. Over 80% of the students in this school come from high-risk home situations. As a result, the school has a specific focus on teaching morals and values and has opened its doors to us to work with the students and teachers.
There are several ways you can get involved.
- Prayer – Jesús, Esperanza Viva Church visits homes on Cerro Placeres several afternoons each week to evangelize and lead Bible studies. You can be part of the prayer team that prays for the visitation efforts during specific visiting times.
- Spanish Translation – Are you fluent in Spanish? We need help translating email communication and various materials as we plan future trips and activities. There is also a great need for Spanish speakers and translators to go on our trips.
- Costumes, Puppets, & School Activities – Some trips will involve teaching K-8th grade students different Bible stories and applications through various activities like conducting a play for their parents, puppet shows, and art activities. If you like to sew, make puppets, or draw backdrops, we need your help!
- Donate Miles – The trip to Chile is a great way to use frequent flyer miles. A round-trip ticket to Chile can be purchased with 40,000–60,000 AAdvantage miles. Donating miles to someone going on one of our trips reduces the total trip cost to less than $1,000 and is a great way to contribute to Kingdom work.
- Go – Pray about going on one of these exciting trips. We fill teams of 4–10 people for each trip. A $300 deposit will hold your spot on a team.
We are in the early stages of developing a missions presence in India. Through much prayer and research together with the IMB, we have sensed God's calling to a specific people group in the city of Chennai on the eastern coast of south India. First Hurst has adopted this unreached, unengaged people group, taking them off the IMB and Josua Project lists as an adoptable group. It's important to realize the need for prayer and financial support during this venture.
Find Out More or Get Involved
Want to learn more about one of these international missions partnerships? Or are you considering joining a team for an upcoming trip? Please fill out the form below to get connected to the right folks.