Pathway to Membership
Our heart is for people to move from being regular attendees to active participants in our church body. It’s kind of like coming out of the stands as a spectator and onto the field as a player. In the church body there are no spectators, only players.
How to Join
We invite you to seek church membership one of the following ways:
- By coming forward during the music at the end of the message in one of our Sunday Morning services.
- By appointment with one of our Pastors. We will set a time to come to your home or for you to come to the church office.
- By meeting with our Pastor during our First Baptist 101 class.
The three essentials for membership are:
- Begin a person relationship with Christ, having, by faith, trusted in God's grace for salvation. This means you have received Jesus Christ as your Savior & Lord or you want to receive Him.
- Admit your need by acknowledging that you are a sinner. (Romans 3:23)
- Be willing to turn from your sins in repentance. (Acts 20:21)
- Believe that Jesus Christ died for you on the cross and rose from the grave. (Romans 5:8)
- Through prayer, invite Jesus Christ to come in and control your life through the Holy Spirit. This is receiving Him as Savior & Lord. (Romans 10:13)
- Be biblically baptized by immersion, which is symbolic in nature.
- Complete First Baptist 101, a course to help you become informed and involved in the life of First Hurst.
First Baptist 101
Find out more about First Hurst at the next First Bapitst 101 class. This enlightening course led by our Senior Pastor takes place in a friendly, small-class setting. Lasting approximately 2 hours, it is designed to help both guests and new members become informed about and involved in the life of First Hurst. In addition to informative topics like Who We Are, How We Function, Where We're Going, and What We Offer, you'll also hear from the members of our pastoral staff team. They will each share about the area of ministry for which they are responsible, generally and briefly explaining philosophy, strategies, and needs.
Childcare is provided during FB101 for children up to 12 years of age (advanced registration is helpful). Because the class spans the typical dining hour, we will provide a meal for you. Throughout the class time, light snacks, drinks, and coffee are available as well. Note also that you'll be encouraged to visit our FB101 "give away" table and help yourself to a variety of gifts and practical resources.
We schedule this course 5-6 times each year. The next FB101 class will take place in the early part of the fall semester of 2013. While registration is not required in order to attend, it does help us tremendously to know in advance how many to expect. You can register for an upcoming FB101 event by simply contacting Russell Maddox to inform him of your plans to attend. Please include information about children who will need childcare during the event.
Because we understand that some family schedules simply will not allow attendance at FB101, we have it available on DVD. A video version of the class, plus the accompanying printed materials, can be checked out from the Media Center/Library located on Main Street.
Contact Us About Membership
Are you ready to join First Baptist Hurst, or do you have any questions about membership? Please complete the form below, and we'll be in touch soon.